Abbey Mills development is a vibrant community beside the historic Merton Abbey Mills Market and River Wandle. With a Virgin Active Health Club on site and the weekend Farmers & Craft market, there is a great lifestyle to be had! The River Wandle and the open spaces of Morden Hall Park are close by.
Despite the very high standard of the development, residents and property managers at Abbey Mills had become increasingly unhappy with the communal lighting which had become less than luxurious; maintenance costs were exorbitant and the failing system was no longer fit for purpose.
The client was also holding a quotation running into £0000’s for urgent emergency lighting repairs required to meet requirements.
Future Lighting was delighted to be commissioned to assist with the design and build of a new, energy-efficient lighting scheme to replace the existing system while still complementing the original design of the building.
Problem areas identified were:
- High wattage lighting with associated high running costs
- No means of control
- Lights “ON” in bright, naturally lit areas
- Failed Emergency Lighting
- Ongoing lighting failures resulting in a poorly maintained feel
- Mix of lamp types and poor colour matching
- Vast heat created from the existing fittings making the lobbies unbearable during summer months
The main apartment lobbies from the eighth floor down used very carefully designed recessed linear fluorescent luminaires. The original designer had specified T5 fluorescent technology which worked well until it began to age. Several years down the line, a huge amount of heat was being generated, reducing the energy efficiency of the system as well as making the common areas unbearably hot for residents.
The maintenance team had done their utmost to repair the system but the task was never ending, so property managers Galliard Homes contacted Future Lighting for help. We arranged a survey and proposed a retrofit LED solution that would utilise the existing flush lamp housings. We built a custom-made system and provided a free trial, offering two colour output options. Residents were given the opportunity to look at the proposed installation and choose a preferred colour. Warm white 3000k was chosen and the new design began to take shape.
- Utilisation of the existing wiring to prevent major cosmetic damage.
- Designing a lighting scheme that would complement rather than detract from the original design of the building.
- Avoiding disruption to residents and their visitors.
The Future Lighting solution:
Apartment Lobbies & Staircases
- Removing high wattage lighting technology.
- Providing a simple fitting replacement roll-out utilising the existing wiring. The low energy LED lights also incorporated integral occupancy detectors that constantly monitor light levels and occupancy.
- As the residents were accustomed to lights being “ON” 24/7, we made the decision to build our fittings with a dimmable facility so during unoccupied periods the lights dropped to 10% (1.4watts) output, providing an ambient level of light.
- New emergency packs were also combined within the necessary fittings, providing fully compliant emergency cover.
Car Park & Plant & Refuse Rooms
- Removal all all existing 140watt fittings
- Direct replacement with 28W LED fittings complete with integral occupancy detectors and emergency facility
- Removal of all existing outdated control methods
External Estate Lighting
- All building feature façade lights were replaced with LED alternatives
- All bollard lighting lamps were replaced with LED alternatives
- All controls were tested, serviced and re-commissioned
The entire estate comprising of 3 Blocks, 200+ space car park and all external lighting was completed in less than 14 days without disruption to the building, its internal or external decor or any interruption to residents.
New LED lights pay for themselves with the money saved each year
The savings made at Abbey Mills are hefty. The lighting upgrade totalled £16,530 and will reduce energy costs from £19,500 to £750.00 per annum.
Ongoing maintenance of £7000 has also been eradicated and the system is now covered by Future Lightings 5 Year Full P&L Warrantee.
Both Gateway Property Management & Abbey Mills residents were delighted to discover that their return on investment (ROI) will only be 32 months. In addition, Future Lighting has given a five-year guarantee on the refurbishment and FREE on-going maintenance.
Have you got a lighting problem? Let us help you find a solution.
Contact us for further information on 0203 826 9999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Let Future Lighting use our energy – to save yours