Being so close to Canary Wharf, The Anchorage Point is much sought after location. Rents and property prices might be high, but no one is keen to waste money or energy unnecessarily. With 78 apartments spread over 8 floors complete with 24-hour concierge service, a large reception, secure underground parking, a gymnasium and swimming pool there are plenty of opportunities to overcome excess spend with regard to lighting energy.
The Anchorage Problem:
The Anchorage needed retro-fit energy-efficient lighting solutions.
The main aim was to reduce energy consumption.
There was a focus on eradicating significant maintenance costs of 50% and upwards.
Te work needed to be carried out with minimum disruption to residents.
The Future Lighting Solution:
- Remove all old, high wattage light fittings. This was to include all lobbies, stairs, reception and facility rooms.
- Replace staircase lighting with new LED Bulkheads with integral Occupancy Detectors, preventing wasted energy usage during unoccupied periods.
- Replace all communal lobby area lights for new, retro-fit LED alternatives.
- Installation of remote Occupancy Detectors to apartment communal lobbies, therefore controlling lights during occupied periods only.
- Remove and replace old-type 50W halogen spotlights with new 4W LED alternatives in the apartment lobbies.
- Replace old type 50W halogen spotlights with new 4W LED alternatives and recessed Twin 26W compact fluorescent down lighters for 14w LED fittings in a lift lobby.
- Design and cost consultancy regarding specification of existing lighting design; reduce 25% of fittings to the lift lobby areas on all floors without incurring light level loss.
- Refit lighting in two staircases feeding 10 floors that were permanently lit 24/7 without the option of control (most fittings were located adjacent to glazed window areas).
- Replace all compact 35W fluorescent fittings for new 14W LED alternatives, with integral Occupancy and Light Level Detectors.
- Supply of 5 Year Guarantee documents.
- Considerable energy usage (90% savings) and high maintenance costs were eradicated.
- Overall lighting levels were improved dramatically.
- The reduction of fittings saved 65% + of energy used but light levels were increased by 20%.
- Energy savings and reduced carbon footprint by staircase lighting systems switching lights “on” only during dusk and when occupied. These areas have saved 90% + in energy consumption as these staircases are rarely used.
Client: Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward
Building Type: Residential
Location: E14 8NF
Technology used: LED bulkheads